Thursday, June 7, 2007

Tiramisu in a Box



I love a good tiramisu, but in LA, I have found the pickin's to be slim compared to east coast cities with big Italian populations. My tiramisu salvation is Sabor Sensual's tiramisu, a frozen 7 x 8 inch box of tiramisu that is better than most LA restaurant and bakery tiramisu I've had.

The ingredients are impressively basic: mascarpone, cream, eggs, sugar, ladyfingers, espresso, liqueur and cocoa powder; standard tiramisu ingredients. The mascarpone and cream are blended together to form a thick, sweet cream that blends with the espresso soaked lady fingers. This is highly addictive stuff. I often find myself licking the ribbed sides of the plastic box to get every last bit of creamy goodness.

I buy my tiramisu in a box in the frozen desserts chest at Bay Cities on Lincoln in Santa Monica. Put it in the fridge for 3-4 hours and presto: instant, excellent tiramisu.

From the little I could tell from a quick Google search, Sabor Sensual is a New Jersey based company that specializes in Latin American desserts. I certainly will try to grab up some of their other products if I ever see them.

By the way, I've been buying this stuff for years, and the "NEW!" label on the package has always been there...they must be speaking geologically or something.

2 comments:

Fabiola Singh said...

where i can get this box in florida , Miaii- i love this dessert and i saw in a bakery open the same box you show in the picture.

Maria said...

Fellow Floridian: I just bought an individual-serving size of this dessert in the dairy case at Walgreens, of all places! Never had it before - lovved it!!