Sunday, July 27, 2008

Now Playing at Hollywood and Ivar

As many of you know, I'm a regular at the Sunday Hollywood Farmers market on Ivar Street. I buy nearly all of my produce there and much of my other food as well, and I've often reviewed the various product available.

Over the last few months there has been a new crop of prepared food stands selling a wide variety of wares. I've written about Flan King and the great buffalo mozzarella available at the Winchester cheese stand, but there are some other new stands as well. Here are some quick hits.

Vera's Tamale Express

Fresh made chips and salsa as well as tasty tamales are available at this stand. I'm especially happy about the chips as there aren't a lot of places in LA to buy real restaurant style tortilla chips. Pork and chicken tamales were very good, both with a nice bite, and the green and red salsas were delicious and fresh tasting.

Carmela Ice Cream

I previously reviewed Carmella's stand at the Larchmont Farmers' Market, but they've moved to Hollywood. Their latest great flavor: Strawberry/Balsamico Sorbet.

Organic Coffee

I can't remember the exact name of the stand that sells organic roasted coffee (Organico Reserva?). It's all cold brewed and iced for the summer and was quite nice. They serve a fairly dark roast, which I like. I believe the coffee is Costa Rican.

I love the proliferation of prepared take-home food at the Market, and I hope there is more to come. My real hope is that our friend Nina, over at Sweet Napa will get a stand for her wonderful candy bars. We'll keep you posted.

No comments: