Sunday, August 31, 2008

Comfort Food at the Rodeo

What to eat when I'm back home from a vacation in Hawaii? Thai, Japanese and Korean are all out, since I've been eating them nonstop. But there are many foods they don't do well in Hawaii: pizza, Middle Eastern, Indian, and most of all, Mexican.

So, I head for one of my favorite comfort foods, Mexican breakfast. Rodeo Grill on Sunset in Echo Park may not be the best Mexican Breakfast in town, but it's darned good and convenient to my mid-city location. I love the breakfast burritos, bulging with egg and chorizo (Tacos Delta, just down the street does a comparably good version), but today, I go for chilaquiles. Yes, they are tortilla chips in sauce, red or green (both very good). They aren't quite as tangy and refined as the version you can get at Loteria Grill, but they are tasty nonetheless. And you even get them with a side of chips. That's right, chips in sauce with a side of chips.

Scoop up a bite of Rodeo's excellent refried beans, and I'm definitively back home.

Rodeo Grill
1721 W Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90026
(213) 483-8311

No comments: